Saturday, September 29, 2007

Joslyn, the Most Misunderstood Girl (by Mr Wan)

I think by now, almost everyone in class dislikes Joslyn and wonders why I haven't removed her as a monitress.

Well, the reason is simple. She hasn't done anything wrong that fits that treatment. The next question would be: Why is she so unliked by so many?

That is not so simple to answer. First of all, do consider her background. With education in Britain and partially Dubai, Joslyn is used to speaking up her mind and given freedom to express her ideas and creativity. In Singapore, however, being quiet and obedient is a form of respect shown to both teachers and classmates. This is something not many children coming from the west could easily conform to.

The next issue would be her nationality. Many people do not understand why as a Singapore Chinese, Joslyn could not speak Chinese and to make things worse, people made fun of the fact that she, as a Chinese, could not converse in Chinese. I find this form of treatment senseless. I think in modern day Singapore, most Cantonese cannot speak Cantonese. Nor can some Hakka or Hokkien speak their own Mother Tongue.

I feel that the value of "love" has been eroded when it comes to Joslyn. I'm not asking everyone to "love" her. But more of understanding where she's from and be more tolerant of her actions. What you see from her is what you would've seen on TV in a normal school in America or Britain. To her, she's unable to talk to you like she could to her friends in Britian. To you, she's like a weirdo who seems to complain to much about everything.

Some would comment that Joslyn shouts in class, Joslyn treats people unfairly, Joslyn this, Joslyn that. Well, tell me who has not done something wrong in 5H? Even I do shout in class, I do treat others unfairly.

We always look at the ugly side of a person but not the good one. Compared to Wei Bin, many would say that Wei Bin is a much better role model as a monitor. So, tell me. How many times has Wei Bin been scolded for not doing work, for not doing corrections, for not owning up to his mistakes? How many times has Wei Bin been sent to Tatarus? Have I sacked him? Has Joslyn been through all those scoldings that Wei Bin has gone through?

Sometimes, we're quick to judge others and sometimes, we don't give chance to others. Put yourself in Joslyn's shoes today. What options do you have if you're treated by your friends in this manner. If I were to be Joslyn for one day, I'd think the whole class dislikes me and I'd try my best to keep quiet, comment less, which means I'll try not to be myself just because my friends don't like it. Yet, my friends still will not like me after all my efforts. It's miserable but I don't have much of a choice. The best thing I could do is to keep quiet and keep everything to myself.

Is this how you want Joslyn to feel? Then perhaps, you'll need to reflect upon yourself. What have you done that have put you in such a great position to judge others like that?

FRIENDS FOR LIFE!!

posted by 5 Honesty's Blog at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


OUR BLOG

6HONESTY FOREVER!
spammers are not entertained here

US, DUH!

CLICK FOR GIRLS!


CLICK FOR BOYS!



WISHES &HOPES!


♥to be together forever :D
good results for PSLE
(you guys can write your wishes here, you know)

GOODBYE!

OTHER CLASSES

6 Courage
6 Diligence
6 Kindness
6 Loyalty

6 HONESTY PUPILS

Alicia
Bryan
Cheryl and Jean
Christie
Clarice
Genevieve
Jean
Joey
Joslyn
Kevin
Siti
Vivian

5 HONESTY (2007) PUPILS

Andrew
Cheryl
Nabil
Peizhen
Pohyi
Waikeng

SECONDARY SCHOOL CLASS BLOGS

Joslyn's Class 1-1
Nigel's Class 1-5
Jean's Class 1.4
Pohyi's Class 1.8
Alicia/Christie's Class 1/6
Adriana/Dennis's Class 1/7

TALKATIVES



Feedjit Live Traffic



ADRIANA'S PET



SITEMETER!





COUNTER!



THANK YOU! :D


Designer
Blogger
Tagboard



ARCHIVES!


August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
May 2010
October 2010